Linux / Unix Level II, CMP213
With Linux, a freely available version of the UNIX operating system, it has become easier than ever to use UNIX at home or in small office environments as well as the Enterprise. This intermediate course in the Linux/UNIX operating system, provides the tools you need to work more efficiently in a Linux/UNIX environment. You will also be introduced to shell scripts, networking, graphical user interfaces using X-Windows, and advanced utilities. This is a hands-on course using the popular Ubuntu Linux distribution.
Linux / UNIX Level I or equivalent experience.
Classroom Hours: 12
Textbook: Books may be purchased at the MC Bookstore Rockville, or online. You will need to know the CMP#(Continuing Education classes) for the class you are taking in order to look up information about the textbook. Please bring your textbook to the first class session.
Technology update: Please bring a Flash Drive/Memory Stick 512MB or larger to class which will enable you to save your class work.
- Configure the X Window System, Localization and Printing
- Administer the System
- Configure Basic Networking
- Write Scripts
- Secure the System
- Configuring Basic X Features
- Configuring X Fonts
- Managing GUI Logins
- Using X for Remote Access
- Configuring Localization and Printing
- Managing Users and Groups
- Tuning User and System Environment
- Using System Log Files
- Maintaining the System Time
- Running Jobs in the Future
- Configuring Linux for a Local Network
- Diagnosing Network Connections
- Writing Basic Scripts
- Administering Network Security
- Administering Local Security
- Configuring SSH
- Using GPG